Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Homemade surface cleaner

Today I tried out my own concoction for a cleaner. Actually, I made it up to defer ants that were invading my bathroom and kids bedroom. I've read that vinegar and certain essential oils make ants scatter. So I mixed up some white vinegar, water, tea tree oil, and peppermint oil. The PO makes it smell awesome!
I decided to use the "ant poison" today to clean my bathrooms. I'm tickled with the results. It cleaned my mirrors and the glass of my back door wonderfully. No streaks!! The best thing about it is that I didn't feel like I needed to wash the toxins off my hands if I had to stop and deal with the kids. And I didn't feel like there might be leftover hazardous residue on my bathtub after a cleaning. I was able to get in the tub without wondering if I might be immersing myself in something bad.
Oh, and the ants are gone too. Can't beat that with a stick. ;-)

Update on 3/20/2010:
Ok, for the record, it only slightly worked on the ants. It doesn't kill them. It only makes them leave. But then they come back. I finally had to spray real ant poison. I was sooo not happy about that but I can't be having holes in my kids clothes that the little boogers chewed on. So I guess I'm still searching for the perfect ant shoo-away that's safe for kids and pets.

Update 3/26/2010:
CINAMMON! Ants hate it! I read that you can use cinnamon oil to get rid of ants. I don't have any CO so I just sprinkled some regular cinnamon on the girls bathroom floor. It worked! They went crazy and fled! We'll see if they come back...

No comments:

Post a Comment