Friday, March 26, 2010

Spoiled Heiny

I love cloth diapers. ~sigh~ :-)
I really do. I so wish I had CD-ed my first 2 babies. But no, I had to be hard headed because it sounded too hard. Folding, Pinning, plastic pants, dunking/swishing in toilet water, washing. I'm a modern mom. Who wants the extra work? Besides, it's just plain gross. Right?
Turns out, not so much. Modern cloth diapers are UH-MA-ZING! Folding, pinning, plastic pants, dunking/swishing not required! Yes, they still have to be washed. But it's actually not so bad. I rather enjoy it. CD adds about 3 extra loads a week in addition to my regular laundry. The great thing about it is that it doesn't need to be folded like other laundry. All I do is sort it. And it's not like I'm actually washing the diaper. My washing machine does the washing ;-) Now, if I had to hand wash that would be a different story.
As for the gross-out factor, yeah, you have to deal with pee and poop JUST LIKE with disposable diapers. The only difference is that the dirty sposie goes in the garbage (managing to stink up the whole house) and the dirty CD goes in a diaper pail to await laundry day (and amazingly doesn't stink at all). I swear sposies smell a million times worse.
Besides the love of the cuteness and comfort of cloth, I love the fact that I'm not putting sposie chemicals on my baby's fanciful heiny. I had no idea that the process sposies go through leave them ridden with chemical residues. They are white because they are bleached with chlorine which leaves behind dioxins. Dioxins are carcinogenic.
I'll have to write more later since the kiddos are up and ready for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment